In which we move to the statistical side of intimacy.
1.. How much sex is too much sex? Explain.
I have to answer this question based on theory since I do not have relevant personal experience.
IIRC, the type of poll cited in the next question generates claims of sex up to twice a day. Whew! I think most couples would be looking for a day off after a couple of two-fers. Once a day seems like an upper limit for people with normal hormone levels.
2. According to the Kinsey Institute, 18-29 year-olds have sex an average of 112 times per year, 30-39 year-olds an average of 86 times per year, and 40-49 year-olds an average of 69 times per year (how appropriate!).
a. Which group of averages would you prefer to belong?
This works out to be about twice a week for the young’uns and once a week in middle age. In the few discussions I’ve had with my admittedly less-than-kinky peer group, I’ve never heard anyone claim to get lucky twice a week, month in and month out. I don’t know who brings up the averages in the polls. Or rephrased, I don’t know the people who bring up the averages.
However that is, once a week would be fine.
b. Based on your age (if listed), find your group above. Would you say you are well below, pretty close to or high above your group’s average for having sex per year?
I’m out of the age range. As you might guess from the comment above, my sex rate has been below the published average.
3. Swinging (defined here)–have you tried it? Will you try it? Do you hope/wish to try it before you die?
No, and not bloody likely.
I do wonder, though, if swinging and casual affairs become more common with couples as they age. Jealousy on the male side, based on ensuring that any children are his, fades away, and it becomes harder to keep sex varied and interesting after three or four decades.
4. What is “having sex”? According to YOU and prior to this TMI Tuesday did you consider:
– Masturbation as having sex? Yes or No
– Performing oral sex as having sex? Yes or No
Good questions. Masturbation is not “having sex” except in very specific contexts.
Oral sex is a trickier issue. While it might be said that a couple who had intercourse one time “had an affair”, I don’t think a single hand job or blow job rises to that level. On the other hand, the average married person who finds his/her spouse is giving/getting oral sex is going to feel betrayed.
5. When was the last time you received oral sex?
Not recently enough.
Bonus: What is it?
Clearly a statuette of Tanisha Thomas: